Thursday, February 5, 2015

HOW I CURE MY "WINTER BLUES"


For many, winter is one of the most captivating and picturesque season of the year. For me, these bleak months bring an abundance of thoughts including yellow snow and cold feet. This being said, I am no ray of sunshine during the cold season. In fact, I'm writing this post while the snow is raging outside, compiling into four foot mounds, confining me in my home. I need warmth, I need sunshine, I need tropical drinks.

If I haven't made it clear yet, my annual case of "winter blues" hits me harder and harder every year. Seriously, I'm considering moving to the desert right about now - a place where a flaming orange sun or a surface composed of dry sand would be no mirage. This being said, there are ways that I make myself feel a little less melancholy in the midst of a never-ending winter wonderland.

1. Baking
A little bit of gingerbread, a whole lot of sugar cookies. I am one of those people who find baking to be extremely therapeutic. There's something about cracking eggs and whisking that fill me with sheer joy. Plus, eating the finished product isn't so bad either. If I'm ever feeling idle and in the need of a sugar fix, you can bet that I'll be making my way to my apron in a jiffy!

2. Long, hot showers
Take note, long and hot showers somehow diverge from the quintessential daily shower. When I am feeling unquestionably grumpy and cold, I drag myself to my bathroom, turn on the hot water, and shower, shower, shower. Not only does the heat and steam relive any tension that I'm feeling, they also warm me up almost instantly. When I'm taking a "feel better shower", I love to use a scented body scrub, deep condition my hair, and just let the water thaw my chilled bones. The only downside of this little slice of heaven is that, like it has been said before, all good things come to an end. The gust of frosty air that hits me after a piping hot shower is by some means both undesired and refreshing.

3. Movie/Netflix marathons
There is no better way to waste your day, scouts honor. When I'm done writing this post I plan on watching a good movie and then departing for dreamland. This distraction alone has helped me feel less anxious about my present situation. I'm stuck, truly, undeniably, stuck. There is snow piled so high outside of my doorstep that I have immense difficulty making my way through my front door. To make matters worse, even if I could find my way outside, I couldn't go anywhere. There is currently a driving ban implemented in my area. This is obviously a little discomforting, so to take my mind off of being physically trapped I watched a full season of Gilmore Girls yesterday. Episode after episode, when I was done it genuinely felt like the time had slipped through my fingers. I felt drowsy, sufficiently entertained, and distracted from my dire situation.

4.Good music
Let's face it, the variety of songs that come to mind when you read the words "good music" are unconditionally going to be different from anyone else. That's the undeniable beauty of music - certain songs feel like they were made just for you. They can change your mood from bitter to elated with the sounds of the first few guitar chords, and they will never not be there for you to listen to. I know that I can earnestly rely on some songs to help me get through the day, especially a late winter afternoon when my spirits are at an all time low.

5. Paper snowflakes
This may sound very, very cheesy, but one of the ways I deal with my "winter blues" is to embrace the fact that (despite my nonexistent enthusiasm) it is winter, and I can't change that. So, one of the very few seasonal activities that I partake in is making paper snowflakes to decorate my home. That's right, I may not be a connoisseur at arts and crafts, but I do make a notable paper snowflake. It's downright enjoyable to gather a few good friends and work some magic with a few pairs of scissors and a tall pile of paper.

So there you have it, a few ways I manage to somewhat suppress my "winter blues" (although I think we all know that hot chocolate is the panacea for all winter-related sadness). I know that there are only five suggestions, but to be completely honest, five is all I have. I really do hate the winter and usually spend my time wallowing in my cold-inflicted anguish.

*As a little side note, I've hit 500 followers on my Twitter account! I wanted to express how incredibly grateful I am not only to have people who take the time to read my posts but to also follow me on social media. I can't believe that 500 people actually care about what I tweet! It means the absolute world to me, I don't know how to properly convey my appreciation.

5 comments:

  1. Long hot showers are the one in Winter! Even just to warm up and improve my mood!

    sheepishlyshameful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love baking when it's miserable outside or i feel a bit down!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having a hot shower too, although I agree that getting out is always a bit of a shock! I usually stay in there longer than I need to haha xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking is definitely the one! Love nothing more than making some cakes, then decorating them and sharing with everyone :)

    sophee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love slipping in to clean cosy pyjamas after a long hot shower - best feeling ever and makes the cold air that little more bearable :-)

    ReplyDelete