Friday, January 9, 2015

Woman V. Oily Skin

There are many different skin types, each one different from the other. I've heard plenty of people complain about how their oily skin is too shiny, their dry skin too flakey, their combination skin too much of a pain in the bum, you get the idea. News flash everyone, complaining won't solve anything! I think that it's extremely important to love your body, so instead of feeling upset that your skin doesn't look or feel the way you want it to, work on bettering it! Drink loads of water, moisturize, be hygienic, etc. The better you treat your skin and yourself, the better you will feel (and look!!).

Personally, I have very oily skin, so I can contest that there are a few difficulties that come with it.  It's hard to achieve a matte look on the face, and even harder to prevent a layer of shine from accumulating throughout the day. The oils on the skin sometimes produce acne, which is never fun. It feels you must wash your face more than twice a day in order to let your face breathe from the oils it's producing. 

However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I've learned how to (mostly) keep my face looking matte and radiant without drying it out! Today I've composed a little list that goes through some of the products that I use to make my face appear shine-free.

Note: Whatever skin type you have, you are beyond beautiful. We can't control our skin, we can just help it be the healthiest version of itself! Don't ever resent the skin you're in. I hope you never feel insecure about any part of you, as you are all lovely, lovely people. Also, the content below is strictly composed of suggestions and have worked for me personally. I am in no way a dermatologist or skin expert of any kind. Hopefully what worked for me will work for you as well! 

BEFORE I APPLY MAKEUP:
Prior to my makeup application process, I typically wash or tone my face to remove the excess oils building up. However, it's important to keep in mind that you should moisturize your skin after doing this, as washing or toning the skin can typically leave it feeling pretty dry. Plus, from what all of the beauty gurus on YouTube have said, moisturized skin helps your foundation stay on your face a lot better and leaves it looking healthy.

For toner, I am currently using the "So Totally Clean Deep Pore Cleanser" original formula by Formula 10.0.6.
















                            The cleanser that I am using is the 
                           "Gentle Cleansing Wash" by Purpose


MAKEUP: 
After my face is moisturized I like to apply a primer or a shine control cream. The most affordable cream that I've found (so far) is from the NYX collection and works very well. But, I found no major difference between that and a skin primer. They both minimize my pores and mattify my face. In regards to liquid foundations, they usually make my skin look even more oily that it already is. If I do apply a foundation I will usually opt for a lighter one that mattifies. I typically prefer powders over foundations as they keep my face looking "dry" and don't necessarily cause shine when first applied.

My favorite skin primer is the "Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser" by Maybelline.
















                             I also like the "Shine Killer" by NYX.




Currently, my loose powder of choice is the "Extra Virgin Minerals" from The Body Shop (USA) in the shade:
205 Rose Vanilla












The foundation that works best for me is the "Dream Matte Mousse" by Maybelline in the shade: Light 4

















SETTING MAKEUP:
If I am wearing a liquid foundation I will set my makeup with either a loose powder (pictured above) or a matte setting spray. 

        One again from NYX, this"Matte Finish"                                  setting spray works very well for me. 

THROUGHOUT THE DAY:
If your skin is anywhere near as oily as mine, it will produce a large amount of oil throughout the day. It's unavoidable, that's just how your skin is! But, there are ways to minimize the oils and keep your face looking matte. One way is to use oil-blotting pads. These alone work absolute wonders and I never leave the house without them. You gently dab your skin (I really focus on my T-zone) with a pad and it soaks up a lot of the oil. I go through almost five every two hours. Another way you can freshen your skin is to apply some translucent powder to it. The reason I suggest translucent is because you may need to reapply the power a lot throughout the day, and with a clear powder your face wont look caked with makeup.

This "Finishing Powder" is from NYX and settles on my face very well. 



The brush beside the powder is the "Multi Task Brush" from Real Techniques




These oil absorbing sheet are from from the Rite Aid "Renewal" line. Many different companies offer different types of these blotting pads/sheets, and these from Rite Aid are not that effective. I prefer different sheets that I've used in the past.











So that's it! These are some products that I like, and they are all affordable. I sincerely hope that this helped you or opened you up to some new techniques. And if not, thanks for reading anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Great post :) always interesting to read how other people keep their skin radiant and spot free! x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, I've got really oily skin too, so it's great to read some tips :) I really want to try a HD powder too
    Loves! Kirstie
    Kimamely Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have super oily skin :( I'm always on the look out for something to keep me matte but as of yet, not much is working x

    amyslittleweb

    ReplyDelete