Friday, January 23, 2015

Good day my internet friends!
Today, I realized something. And this realization, of course, resulted in a blog post that is all over the place. But, hey, that's sometimes what a blog is all about. So here it goes...

I'm an introvert. Please don't get me wrong, I am not antisocial or afraid of people. I am, however, a bit shy and it's difficult for me to simply start conversation with a perfect stranger. This is no news flash to myself or the people who know me well. As I made my way into the city today to meet a friend, I  noticed something that made me stop and think for a moment. I was surrounded by people who were minding their own business, with eyes glued to a book or a phone or to the floor. No was was looking at someone else, no one was speaking. In those few moments of what I assumed to be clarity, I felt a sudden hush fall over what should have been a noisy and urban jungle. Then it hit me, everyone is an introvert in some way. Think about it. When was the last time you went out of your way to speak to someone other than your close circle of friends and family? Was it when you were forced to say "excuse me" as you tried to squeeze yourself down a crowded hallway? Or was it when you spoke to the cashier, asking if the new shirt was actually on sale or if it was just a mistake? And even then, was it meaningful conversation or rather uncomfortable small talk?

It has become a common misconception that talking to strangers isn't normal. In this day and age I think I would be scolded for talking to the woman I met on the train or leaving the beautiful boy in the coffee shop my phone number. People just see it as wrong. It's not unusual to receive the advice that goes a little something like, "Hey, don't talk to strangers. It' not safe." Yes, sometimes it may legitimately not be safe. But when did a harmless conversation become a signal for sudden death? And what about all of the times when speaking to someone new wasn't  potentially dangerous?  This made me pause and consider all of the possible friendships or loves that I didn't get to experience when I made the choice not to step out of my comfort zone to speak to others. I'm typically not one to dwell on what could have been, but for some reason I couldn't shake a sudden feeling sorrow off of my shoulders.

Now, with this in mind, it's no wonder that I'm an introvert. Chances are, you're an introvert too. I'm not saying that there is something wrong with that, but I do have the freedom to say that I wish it would all change. I dream of living in a world where modern culture encouraged conversationalists to open their mouths and partake in what they do best. What I'm trying to say is that I never want to sit on a train or walk a city street feeling stuck in a world of silence.

It's simply reality that the party is sprinkled with wallflowers, filling up the room with their silent thoughts and physical presence. There's no doubt in my mind that there will always be observers and people that are quiet by nature. And still, there will be those who are the life of the party. But in order for there to be a "life" of the party, there must be others who, sadly enough, dull it. That's just how things seem to work right now. But never forget that there will also be outgoing people, people who will push back the fleeting idea that talking to someone who is quiet will be seen as unwanted. Because chances are, the quietest people are just waiting for someone to strike up the right conversation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an introvert too! I find it hard to talk to certain people, like some of my managers, even though they're only a few years older than me. I'm just quiet and I like to observe conversations and join in when I feel like I have something to add. Lovely thought out post!

    Jenny xo - www.jnylng.com

    ReplyDelete