Thursday, January 1, 2015

And then it was 2015...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
It's finally here and I am feeling so excited that the world has collectively bid 2014 a final goodbye. Whether this year was over in the blink of an eye or seemed to take a decade to finally be over, it is now dead and gone. So, as a result of being super optimistic about the upcoming year (I am graduating high school, after all!!!!), I have decided to conform and follow the trend of creating a few New Year's resolutions.
Note: This is actually the first time that I have made New Year's resolutions and may be the last, as I believe that resolutions can begin at any time, not just on January 1st.

1. Take charge of my own life

When it comes to most things in my life, I never have full control. Growing up, I've lived a very sheltered life. My mother and father make all of my big decisions for me, exhibiting their authority. I have my lunch made for me every day, waiting in a brown paper bag on my counter for me to take to school.  I always take the opinions and concerns of my family into considerations before doing anything. Obviously, this has held me back from making some bold choices. However, this year I'm turning 18, moving out of my house, and am ridding myself of the shadows of my protective parents that seem to follow me wherever I go. I am taking charge. I'm going to start making decisions for me and no one else, and hope to begin the process of becoming an independent adult. It wont be easy, but let's see how it goes.

2. Be more considerate of my body

It's been said millions of times, your body is your temple. My binges on pizza every weekend must end. My reluctance to exercise must cease. My intake of green veggies and lean meats must bloom. I've always brushed off the advice of eating for bodily benefits. I've always been the one to choose onion rings over a salad. But, I don't regret this. I adore food, I would marry it if I could, it's just so awesome. This being said, I think 2015 is the year that I become more considerate of the benefits of foods before I make my meal choices. And, I just bought myself a new pair of workout leggings so I should probably go for a run around the park. Exercise is a privilege, not torture. This is something that I want to consider this year.

3. Make the most of my free time

Any spare moment that I have is typically spent on my phone or computer. Although very entertaining, it has almost no benefits. This year I want to vow to myself that my free time will be spent on things that will help me grow as an individual. I am always ready to learn and be inspired, but my infatuation with the internet has sort of distracted me. Form now on, I want to read more and learn to cook new things and take walks in nature and travel all summer and try new things. Spare time is so precious, so I might as well take advantage of it now. I'm only a teenager for so long.

4. Fix my wrongs of 2014

The bridges I've burned and the mistakes I've made are permanent, I cant take them back. I feel that the majority of my actions and decisions in the past year were for the right reasons. The friendships that ended were meant to end, the choices I made were justified. But, although hard to admit, there have been some incidents where I regret how things played out. So this is the year I swallow my pride and fix the wrongdoings of 2014 that I believe should be put back together. Although difficult now, if certain relationships are mended I know I will be a much happier person overall.

5. Find the beautiful qualities and emotions within myself and express them

This resolution is by far my favorite. I think that as humans, we all have a natural tendency to put ourselves down. We are so self conscious about our external features that we don't stop and think about how beautiful we all are on the inside. Within ourselves lies empathy, kindness, compassion, love, passion, peace, harmony, knowledge, serendipity, gentleness, and so much more. It's the process of discovering the beauty within ourselves, then showing it for all to see, that make people truly breathtaking. So this year I want to dig deep within myself and find my qualities that will make me shine. We all have something within us that makes us beautiful, whether it's appreciation, generosity, a loving hand, or any of the traits above. Make this year an exploration to find the parts of yourself that were once hidden.

So happy 2015! I can't wait to share my year with you all. The weekly inspiration sidebar has been updated! Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Great resolutions! I need to do the same no2...my chocolate binges must end (esp as I'm dairy intolerant) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope I actually go through with them. Good luck with yours! Chocolate is hard to give up, its so yummy! I know you can do it :)

      Delete
  2. Love that your resolutions are to make your life better and to grow as a person. Happy new year!

    Meg | Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete