Friday, May 2, 2014

'X' Marks the Spot

     Today the Twitter and YouTube world went absolutely bonkers when Ed Sheeran released the acoustic version of his new song "One" off of his unreleased alum 'X' (pronounced "multiply"). Being a huge Sheeran fan myself, it was hard to contain my emotions as I rushed on over to YouTube in order to listen to the song earlier this morning.
     It's safe to say that tune is major. His words flow like poetry and literally tug on a listener's heartstrings. Sheeran shows off his flawless guitar and vocal skills through an intimate black and white video, which totally adds to the somber mood. I'll admit that I did get a little teary-eyed while listening and watching the video, but then again I cry over really anything ranging from a sad movie to a good-looking slice of pizza.
     Anyway, the song opens up with some pretty intense lyrics, in which Ed is basically begging a girl (that he perceives to be the only "one" for him) not to accept a marriage proposal from someone else. It then continues with him explaining that he is willing to wait for this girl as long as it takes because he is so in love with her, but by the chorus I think we all got the feeling that these two weren't going to work out. The connection  between Ed and the mystery girl is extremely evident in the lyrics that are filled with raw adoration. By the end, it is evident that they do not end up together. He sings about how he hopes that they will remain friends, because after all she is the only one that he wants to be with. By that point I was feeling pretty emotionally defeated because Ed didn't get his fairy tale ending that he completely deserved.
     "One" has a very different tone compared to the songs "Don't" and "Sing", which have also been released from the upcoming album 'X'. "Don't" is a song fueled by betrayal and anger and features a hint of that Sheeran sass which we love. "Sing" has an upbeat tune that is catchy with a bit of a playful vibe to it. In "One", we are hearing a sound that is similar to many of Ed's songs from his debut album '+' ("plus"), which are beyond intimate and are dripping with love and heartbreak. Lyrics in "One" such as  "I listen to sad songs singing about love and where it goes wrong" and "Tell me that you turned down the man who asked for your your hand, 'cuz you're waiting for me" totally killed me. But I have to say that my favorite line in the song overall is "I will only have these eyes for you". So there you have it! You could say that I admire his way with words, and I can't wait until the full album is available so that I can listen to it on repeat for weeks.
     So congrats, Ed! You totally nailed it once again, satisfying all of your fans with an insanely beautiful song. Check out the video for yourself, and keep the tissues nearby!

                                   

Also, don't forget to check Ed Sheeran out on twitter and to pre-order his new album!
Ed's twitter
Pre-order X
Ed's YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment